torsdag den 10. oktober 2013

My Social Media use

This post is a combination of brain dumps and thoughts for the last couple of days. The purpose is to try and map out hoe I use the different social media I am connected to, on a daily basis.

It all started with the need for my smartphone to be sent to repair, it wasn't functioning as it should, but as the gadget-freak I am,  I was in a huge dilemma! And the one hand I would very much like for my phone to function as it should, but on the other I would not like to be without it for maybe two-three weeks! - And in the meantime be stuck with a 'dumbphone' that has absolutely no features except for calling and texting (you know, features that are the actual main point of having a phone..). These thoughts led me to the conclusion that I should start being more aware of what I actually use my phone for, and if my concerns actually had something to be grounded in.

I started out just trying to be more aware on when I pulled out - which situations would call for the use of social media on a daily basis. This wasn't supposed to be a big well documented thing, more sort of a making-myself-aware kind of thing, where I would try to be more focused on my used, and the actual use, instead of just using away.
Some of the situations I could pinpoint after just a few hours was; when I go to the toilet and when I'm watching television. The first situation constitutes a nice break, and here I am able to check how everything is on my social networks, without anyone watching what I am doing on my phone, to myself I think this is pretty common, and a way of using the 'alone-time' for something interesting (since there really aren't many other possibilities in a bathroom..). The other situation is some kind of strange, as I am already engaged in an activity; the tv watching, but here I often feel the urge to check the phone, simply because whatever I am watching, bores me. The strange thing is, that I can be sitting in my couch with my girlfriend watching a show, and still feel the urge to check if there is something interesting going on. There is no particular purpose in checking the different streams, I'm just checking, to check.. And here comes another, to me, interesting bit; I am very dull on social media! Yes, there, I said it. By being just a little aware of my use, I noticed that I rarely do anything on the different social media platforms, I just check, and read. Occasionally I throw in a like to a picture or a funny comment, but in the last week, I have done that roughly two-three times! Status-updates or tweets? None. Zero. Nada. Zip. This was quite confusing for me to discover, since I prior to this, saw myself as an active member, and user, of the most common social media platforms, but in reality I am, most certainly, not. At least not from the point where contributing is a requirement for being an active user, and really, isn't that what social media is about?

Bottom line, I have sent my phone off for repair today, and I'm actually looking forward to a weekend, as they were prior to the smarthpone invasion, without any 'interruptions' from other peoples statuses or check-ins in my pocket - It will be interesting to see how I feel about this in a couple of days..

1 kommentar:

  1. great idea to use this opportunity to think about how and why you use your phone. I've always been captivated (in my own geeky academic way) by the way we describe our phones as smart or dumb, and what exactly is the threshold? People (10-15 years(?) ago) used palm pilots with very limited connectivity as 'smart' devices. So what constitutes smart nowadays?

    SvarSlet