torsdag den 5. december 2013

Brain dump - Heavy user experiment

I've been thinking about doing two different experiments to gather data for my exam paper. One is to make my smartphone a dumbphone, and stripping it for all it's fancy capabilities, and using it only for SMS and calls. I'll be talking about that in another post. This post will be about the other experiment I've been thinking about: being a heavy user of social media. This experiment will be based on me setting som rules for my social media behavior, where I force myself to comment on others post's as well as posting content xx times a day. This experiment would force myself to do something I don't do a lot; be active on social media! I usually lurk and be passive, I really don't know why I don't use the different media to a higher degree, but I now how I don't want to be perceived on social media; as a person who post everything, all the time! I hate like-hunters, these people whom only post to get likes, and whom get disappointed if they don't get 'enough' likes from their connections. I just don't see the point.
Unless these persons are important to me, and I want to know what they are doing, I block their content, as I think it's kind of irritating that they are posting everything they encounter on the internet, every, useless, unimportant, thing. I don't want to be that type of person! I want to have some kind of distance to my media use, and every move I make on social media is usually thought of for some time, before actually getting posted. I'm trying to have a healthy relationship to my media use, even though this means I seem passive, and that others don't get a lot of information about me and what I do. As mentioned earlier I'm a 'freerider'; gaining the benefits from the media and others, not contributing to the greater 'good' (I really don't believe that there's a good in this, but for the sake of the saying, I use this term here..).

Actually what concerns me the most about being a heavy user for a day or two, is if others would recognize my sudden increased interactivity, or maybe the opposite, that it would be recognized at all, and that it would be a waste, for anyone other than the sake of this experiment? Maybe the overall thought related to this, my change in behavior, is connected to my feeling of being seen on social media? I don't have an urge for showing off, and telling others what I do, and don't need the recognition connected to this, and others commenting on my posts and thoughts. Some would believe this could be connected my fear of not getting any comments or recognition at all, I don't, because as mentioned I don't have this urge, and I see Facebook status updates and other media as something used to say my opinion, and not asking or posting stuff that I want response to, this is simply not how I see these types of media. I use it for other things as well, as chatting or getting information about people, but actually posting to get some kind of interaction is useless to me.

My fear of being seen by some as the person who without any particular reason starts posting stupid things, and commenting without any other reason than just doing it, is what is holding me back. I don't know if it would be healthy for me to try it, and get some kind of 'insight knowledge', but my fear for been seen this way is to high, I don't want to be this person..! I guess this is highly related to my need for managing my social media facade, and maintaining how 'I' is perceived by others on the internet. I don't think I'm doing a lot of maintenance, but this is some of the things I do, and prior to writing this, I really wasn't aware of it. It was more a thought of not showing off, and not having a need to interact this way, but actually it seems like a way for me to manage my facade, and instead of posting and doing stupid things, I do nothing at all. The question is, if it is better to do anything, even the slightest, than nothing?

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar