fredag den 8. november 2013

All in!

When I first heard that we were going to do a (social) media fast, I was sceptical. I couldn't see how that possibly could be done in the world we live in, were our phones and media play such big parts in our lives. The thought of not being reachable and connected, is in my mind connected to the thought of being left alone on a deserted island! As mentioned previously I'm a 'free-rider' when it comes to social media, which means I really don't contribute a lot. I've come to the conclusion that this could be based in one of two things; either I find myself and what happens in my life too boring to share what is going on in with others, or that I'm very reluctant when it comes social media, and only feel that it should be used with a decent purpose. Especially the second option is highly contrasting with how I use social media, since the most of my time spent on social media, is related to just browsing and reading what happens in other people's lives and what generally is going on within different areas. One thing that strikes my mind is; how would the internet and especially social media be if there wasn't any free-riders like myself? Would it be too crazy and overwhelming if everyone started pouring every single thing they experienced into the social media. Or is the term free-rider open for interpretation? Basically social media wouldn't exist if nobody read what others posted, I'm still reading post, digesting them, and bringing them into my life, maybe sharing the information with others as a base of conversation with mutual friends, so even though I don't contribute, I'm using it in a different way, and maybe thereby actually contributing? Another thought relating to this is that when I don't throw around 'likes' and 'favorites' like they were halloween-candy, don't that just make my opinions more valuable, since they are so rare? Or could it be the other way around, that the decrease in value, since I'm so passive that my opinion really doesn't matter?
I really don't know where to begin, and definitely can't see where to stop, but I had to get these thoughts out there before my next topic; the fast!

We're all conducting a day of fasting, a day with no social media (free passes can be given), and throughout the day have to do some notes and thoughts on how it is going. For this occasion I've decided to go all-in, which means I'm cutting all cords to social media and temptations. I'll be starting tomorrow (saturday) when I wake up, and won't access the social media i usually frequent, until sunday. This means I've had to set up some groundrules for myself;

  • Tell my boss that I'm unreachable all saturday
  • Mail disabled on computer + smartphone
  • Disable all push-notifcations on my smarthphone
  • Unmuting my phone, and leaving it somewhere to be haerd in case anyone should call (I don't find calls to be within social media), contrary to carrying it in my pocket all day
  • Try to be as much away from computer as possible, to reduce temptation
As I'm going to do some brain-dumps throughout the day, I'll be using my computer occasionally, but I'll only have a document open for these, and not use the browser or really anything else on the computer - All-in!
Fortunately we are visiting my in-laws on the countryside this weekend, and hopefully this could be a fine opportunity to just let everything be, and focus on being social with the people around me. (On the other hand, I fear for not being able to take a break from everything, and know wether interesting is going on, while I'm there behaving nicely..)

I'll post my brain-dumps in readable editions on the blog, after finishing the fast.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar